S2F-7 How to manually update WordPress
How to Manually Update WordPress
First thing you will need to do is log in to your Admin area of your WordPress site
Important: Always backup your WordPress site and database before you do any updates.
I cant stress this enough… What would happen is the updates go wrong? How will you get your site back??
Well you could pay $90 to your host ( thats IF they have a backup.)
So dont rely on them, get your own backup.
There are a number of backup plugins you can install and I will g into these in another lesson.
- Once you have logged into your WordPress Admin you might see on your Admin Dashboard that you have a WordPress update.WordPress core updates will be highlighted on top of Admin as well as shown as a update number.The number signifies the number of updates that are available.Click on Updates, WordPress version or “Please update now” link.It will take you to the next screen that will show all updates available including themes.
- Click on “Update Now” button.
- Your WordPress CMS is now updated.
- You can check if there are any additional updates by clicking back to the Updates page.
- Pretty simple really. Complete the update/s and check your site is OK by viewing it in your browser.Generally if WordPress fails at an update, it will revert back to the one before you clicked the Update Button, but just in case it doesn’t, you will have your backup which you can use to get your site back again.If you run into any problems, please don’t hesitate to contact us!